The General Society War of 1812
and the Society of the War of 1812 in the Commonwealth of Virginia
invite you and your guests to attend a plaque unveiling ceremony honoring
Captain Vincent Shackleford
Date - December 11, 2016
Time - Starting at 10:30 a.m.
Place - North Farnham Episcopal Church,
231 N Farnham Church Rd, Farnham, VA 22460
Reception - Immediately following the ceremony the Farnham Episcopal Church clergy have invited attendees to a gathering at their Fellowship Hall.
* The public is invited to attend the ceremony. Societies and organizations are invited to present wreaths.
* For more information please contact -
Charles Belfield, e-mail email@example.com, or Mike Lyman, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The last land battle of the War of 1812 in Virginia and took place in the vicinity of North Farnham Episcopal Church on December 6, 1814, between British forces and the Richmond County Militia. Bullet holes are still visible in the walls.
Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society
Fall Membership Meeting & Luncheon
October 5, 2016
Schedule of Events
10 a.m. - Business Meeting
11 a.m. - Guest Speaker
Dr. Martin Gallivan
Native American History in the Northern Neck
12 p.m. - Luncheon
Place - Indian Creek Yacht & Country Club, Kilmarnock, VA
Members $30 per person. Non-Members $35 per person.
For more info - please email email@example.com
Dr. Martin Gallivan is an anthropology professor at William & Mary. His research centers on the archaeology and history of Native societies in the Chesapeake, including the Algonquian-speaking Powhatans of the Tidewater region. In addition to several journal articles, he has published two books, James River Chiefdoms and The Powhatan Landscape.
Dr. Gallivan received his bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and both his Master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Virginia.
With his appointment to the William & Mary faculty, he served as research director of the Werowocomoco site – the capital of the Powhatan chiefdom located in present-day Gloucester County. More recently, Dr. Gallivan began conducting fieldwork at the Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, focusing on the archaeology of the Native tow of Kiskiak.
Dr. Martin Gallivan
College of William & Mary
"69 Slaves Escape to Freedom"
Historical Highway Marker Dedication & Unveiling
Date: Saturday, October 1st, Rain or Shine
Time: 10:15 a.m.
Place: Route 3 at the White Stone end of the Norris Bridge, next to the “Dolphin” historical marker. Park along either side of Route 3.
This highway marker dedication, commemorating the War of 1812 slave flight from Corotoman plantation (the area that is now Weems, VA), will open with Lois Williams, the marker’s sponsor, reading the Corotoman overseer’s letter of April 22, 1814, notifying the absentee plantation owner that a quarter of his slaves were “carried off by the British.”
Representatives from the Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society and Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, long time supporters of historical highway markers in the Northern Neck, will be present.
A representative of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources will describe its historical highway marker program, and Mike Lyman, representing the Society of the War of 1812, will unveil the marker.
There will be brief remarks by three historians. Stuart Butler is author of Defending the Old Dominion: Virginia and Its Militia in the War of 1812, and he has written about Virginia slaves who fled to British ships. Dr. Patrick Heffernan compiled the on-line database, “Corotoman Slave Histories,” with one section, “Flight,” presenting what is known about each of the escaping slaves. Dr. Alan Taylor’s book, The Internal Enemy: Slavery and War in Virginia, 1772-1832, with a section on the Corotoman plantation and the slave escape, won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for History. The Pulitzer citation described the book as “An account of why runaway slaves in the colonial era were drawn to the British side as potential liberators.”
Cheryl Davis, Regent of the Cobb Hall Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, as Regent and also representing the James Monroe Chapter of the Daughters of 1812, will conclude the program by singing “The Star Spangled Banner.”
69 Slaves Escape to Freedom
About 2,400 enslaved African Americans in Virginia escaped to the British during the War of 1812, encouraged in part by a proclamation issued on 2 Apr. 1814 offering them freedom and resettlement in “His Majesty’s Colonies.” Three enslaved men from Corotoman, a plantation two miles west of here, fled on 18 Apr. 1814. Several days later, they guided British barges back to carry off friends and relatives, including 46 children, the largest group of slaves to leave a Chesapeake Bay plantation during the war. Most settled in Nova Scotia or Trinidad. British reparations later compensated some owners for departed slaves, including, in 1828, those from Corotoman.
NNVHS Spring Meeting, 7 May 2014 at Stratford Hall
“What factors led to Stafford’s being divided from Westmoreland County in 1664? How and why did Stafford become the Northern Neck’s most industrialized county?”
Stafford County historian Jerrilyn Eby MacGregor will answer these questions and more, on May 7, 2014, at the Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society Annual Spring Member Meeting & Luncheon to be held at Stratford Hall, Stratford, VA, 10 a.m. -12 p.m. RSVP Luncheon to follow. This event is open to the public.
For over 25 years, Jerrilyn MacGregor has been a noted Virginia historian. She is the secretary of the Stafford County Historical Society and is the author of five books, including her most recent, “Land of Hogs and Wildcats: People and Places of Lower Stafford County, Virginia.”
Please join us for the unveiling and presentation of the NNVHS 2013 John Paul Hanbury "Commercial Property" Award to be presented to "Objects, Art and More", at Irvington, VA.
Time: April 10, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
Place: Objects, Art and More, 4462 Irvington Road, Irvington, VA.
NNVHS Annual Commemoration of the 1766 Leedstown Resolutions
In 1765, the British Parliament imposed a Stamp Act that required many materials in the American colonies to carry an embossed revenue stamp to offset expenses of the British troops stationed in the Appalachian frontier. On the 27th day of February in 1766, one hundred and
fifteen concerned and apprehensive farmers from the Northern Neck assembled at Leedstown, VA, in Westmoreland County, to support a proposal written by Richard Henry Lee, to prevent the introduction of the Stamp Act into the colony of Virginia. This important historic event is considered a beginning to America's independence. Many thanks to the guests and participants who attended the 2014 NNVHS Annual Commemoration of the 1766 Leedstown Resolutions at Menokin, Warsaw, VA. The NNVHS would like to extend a special thanks to Steve Walker who presented an interesting and informative history of the Leedstown Resolutions and personally recognized descendants in attendance, of the signors of this important document. And also, a special thank you to Mike Lyman for arranging the appearance & presentation of the color guard. The color guard was a welcomed highlight of this event!
Pictured left to right – NNVHS President Bill Elliott, Richard Henry Lee, Sons of the American Revolution Chapter President Richard Fickling, NNVHS Past
President Page Henley, James Monroe Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution representatives Charles & Brennan Belfield, Past Virginia Governor of the Virginia Society Order Founders & Patriots of America and Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution, Committee Chairman Mike Lyman, Minute Men Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution President Bill Schwetke, and Guest Speaker Bill Horn
War of 1812 Commemoration
The Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society will host a ceremony of commemoration and dedication of a roadside historical marker, at the historic Nomini Episcopal Church on Virginia Route 202 / Cople Highway, at the bridge over Nomini Creek near Mount Holly, VA at 9:30 am, on Saturday July 20, 2013.
The marker is authorized by the Virginia Bicentennial of the American War of 1812 Commission to commemorate the British attack in force at Nomini Ferry on July 20, 1814. The British landed a force of 1,000-1,200 Royal marines and sailors that faced a lightly-armed force of local militia. They proceeded to destroy the ferry and continued on to burn the Westmoreland Court House and plunder nearby churches, homes and plantations.
This raid, together with another at Kinsale, was the most significant of fourteen similar raids on the Potomac shores of Westmoreland County during the spring and summers of 1813 and 1814, and led to the subsequent burning of Washington and the attack on Fort McHenry at Baltimore Harbor in August and September 1814.
Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. Re-dedication of the burial vault of Samuel, Martha, and Jeremiah Rust, the last of whom died in 1731.
This long buried and nearly forgotten historical site was uncovered by PNNMP and Vault Field Winery last year, as part of our ongoing program to identify and preserve historic places. We will re-dedicate it and install a permanent marker in honor of the Rust family, owners in the 18th Century of a nearby mill and of five thousand acres in Westmoreland County and more elsewhere. Refreshments, courtesy of PNNMP will be served, and a cash wine bar will be staffed by Vault Field Winery. The ceremony will be brief. You might wish to bring a chair. A tour of the winery will take place upon request.
From Warsaw via Lyells: North on Rt. 3 to a right on Rt. 203 at Lyells. About six miles to Rt. 602, Vault Field Road at a blue marker for the vineyard. Stay on Rt. 602 for about 1.1 miles and turn left on to Rt. 601, King’s Mill Road. Vineyard is the first gate on the left.
From Callao: West on Rt. 202 to Rt. 203 at Good Eats and Backdraft restaurants. Go 1.8 miles to Rt. 602, Vault Field Road on left. Stay on Rt. 602 for about 1.1 miles and turn left on to Rt. 601, King’s Mill Road. Vineyard is the first gate on the left.
Alternative from Callao: Before Good Eats, turn left on Rt. 601, King’s Mill Road for about one mile to vineyard gate on right.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can plan the amount of food.
September 7, 2013The Commeration of Robert Carter, III's Manumission will be held at Historic Christ Church at 10:00 a.m.
July 4th, 2013 Burnt House Field Celebration
Join us at Burnt House Field to celebrate the 237th anniversary of the signing of the Decleration of Independence. At the conclusion of the program, we invite you to Yeocomico Church for a special church service which is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. Burnt House Field is the former site of Machodoc Plantation, which burned in the early 1700's. Thomas Lee was master of the plantation at the time of the house's burning and he shortly thereafter began construction of Stratford Hall. Check out the photos.
Traveling Exhibits (July 2013)
NNVHS will host with Historic Christ Church and the Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library a traveling exhibit from the the Virginia Historical Society titled AN AMERICAN TURNING POINT: THE CIVIL WAR IN VIRGINIA. This exhibit will be on display at the Church's Bayne Center from Friday, 12 July to Sunday, 28 July.
July 12th and 13th - THE CIVIL WAR 150th HISTORYMOBILE - a 53 foot "Museum on Wheels" from the Virginia Sesquicentennial of the American Civil War Commission will be available for touring at Historic Christ Church from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
CIVIL WAR SPEAKER SERIES (June 2013)
Your Society, in partnership with Historic Christ Church and Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library, will host a Civil War Spearker Series in June, to be held at the Bayne Center at Historic Christ Church, Weems. This series will include:
Thursday, June 13, at 7:00 p.m. - Bill Bryant will give a presentation titled "Virginia and the Coming of the Civil War"
Thursday, June 20, at 7:00 p.m. - Jon Stallard is scheduled to give a presentation titled "The Confederate High Tide"
Thursday, June 27, at 7:00 pm. - Steven D. Harris will give a presentation titled "Virginia Rebel with a Cause". Following the presentation there will be a book signing featuring his historical fiction, "Faded Lines of Gray".
May 8, 2013 Spring Membership Meeting
Mark your calendar for Wednesday, 8 May 2013, for our spring membership meeting to be held at Stratford Hall. If you plan to attend, please contact Kathy Schuder. Our speaker will be Dr. James Robertson. He is one of the most distinguished names in Civil War history, Dr. Robertson served as Executiveof the U.S. Civil War Centennial Commission in the 1960s and worked with Presidents Kennedy and Johnson in commemorating the war's 100th anniversary. He then taught 44 years at Virginia Tech, where his upper division course on the Civil War era attracted 300 or more students per semester and made it the largest class of its kindin the nation. At his retirement in 2011, the University named him Alumni Distinguished Professor Emeritus of History. The Danville, VA, native is the author or editor of more than 25 books, including biographies of Gens. Robert E. Lee and A. P. Hill, several works on the common soldiers, and three studies written for young readers. His massive biography of Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson won eight national awards and was used as the base for the Ted Turner/Warner Bros. mega-movie, "Gods and Generals." Robertson was chief historical consultant for the film. The recipient of every major award given in Civil War history, and a lecturer of national acclaim, Dr. Robertson is probably more in demand as a speaker than anyone else in the Civil War field. He holds a Ph.D. degree from Emory University and honorary doctorates from Randolph-Macon College and Shenandoah University. Robertson is a charter member (by Senate appointment) of Virginia's Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission and is actively engaged in the state's sesquicentennial observances.
His latest book is THE UNTOLD CIVIL WAR, published by the National Geographic Society.
February 27, 2013 Commemoration of Leedstown Resolutions
The annual program of the Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society (NNVHS) will be held at Francis Lightfoot Lee’s Menokin at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 27. The resolution was signed on this date in 1766. The document was the first organized protest of “taxation without representation” and was inopposition to the British imposition of the Stamp Act which required colonists to pay a duty on exports. Signers pledged “to bind ourselves to each other….with our lives and fortunes.” The 2013 commemoration will feature the lives of signers Richard “Squire” Lee of Lee Hall, Robert Wormeley Carter of Sabine Hall, John Belfield of Belle Mount, and Joseph Peirce of Templesman. The program is prepared by NNVHS and hosted by the Menokin Foundation. Signers highlighted in past years have been author Richard Henry Lee and brother Francis Lightfoot Lee, the only men to sign both the Resolutions and the Declaration of Independence. Others whose stories have been told are Alvin Moxley, Meriwether Lee, William Sydnor, Moore Fauntleroy, Francis Waring, and William Roane. All are invited to attend. The Martin Kirwan King Center at Menokin is the site. The historic property can be reached by taking Menokin Road (Route 690) from Route 3 east of Montross or from Main Street in Warsaw.
Other upcoming events include observing Independence Day at Burnt House Field with a service to follow at Yeocomico Church on Thursday, 4 July.
January 20, 2012
New Award Announced for Historic Preservation